Saturday 6 October 2012

Flying, Frocks & Feeling Myself Up...


It’s Thanksgiving Weekend in Canada.  I have so much to be thankful for and wish to count my blessings with you.  We’ll get to the flying, frocks and football but let’s pink it up here for a minute.  I wanna start off with a good feel up!

Knowing I was going to write this important blog I asked a few of my guy friends about my boobs.  It went over real big.  “What do you think about my breasts?"

"What?  What do you mean?"

"No, really.  Would you say they're magnificent?”  

Mostly I got shock and awe.  At least one: “Is my wife going to read this?”  After I explained why I was asking I got a unanimous “Okay, sure” from everybody in Starbucks.

When I asked my ex-husband he said: “Is this a trick question?”  I am pretty sure what he meant to say was: “Hell ya!  Super healthy!"

We all know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor.  My grandmother (father’s mother) is a breast cancer survivor.  A number of my aunts and cousins are breast cancer survivors.  The science says that with breast cancer on both sides of my family I’m a shoe in.  Breast cancer can occur at any age, and in both genders, but it is more common in women older than 50.  I have a game plan to stay ahead of the genetics.

I feel myself up at least once a month (if not more).  A breast self-exam involves checking your breasts to help detect breast problems or changes.  There is some controversy about whether or not breast self-exams are helpful or harmful but women should at least be familiar with how their breasts look and feel so they can talk to their doctors about any changes.  And my friends, I know more than one woman whose partner detected a lump while they were making out.  Go ahead girls; let him touch your boobs!  I’m just saying.  This also could be excellent relationship advice.  (Men: If I hear one “Well, the Red Boot Lady said…” there will be Hell to pay.)

For some people this is going to be big time T.M.I. but I have been getting mammograms since I was 37.  Again, some debate about whether or not I am wasting tax dollars on unnecessary medical testing but my genetics say that if anyone should be cashing in on all those taxes I pay then it should be me.

I let my doctor feel me up too.  If my ta-tas aren’t getting squished by a machine then I give my doctor full permission to give me a really good work over.  Nothing beats a good clinical breast exam.  Here’s a link about maintaining breast health: http://www.smpbc.ca/faq/Maintaining+Breast+Health.htm.


CYYJ at sunrise.  Waking up the Tower Gods.
In other news... this morning was the first time that I have flown early in the morning.  It was beautiful and bright.  Blinding actually.  CYYJ was a sleepy airport - just me, Sean and the Big Boys.   By the time we came back in it was all a-buzz as usual.  Of course I walked away with another deeply profound life lesson courtesy of flight training with my instructor, Sean.  That will be another story for another day.

In the meantime, it’s time for family, friends and football!  My beloved BC Lions are playing today and I just can't wait!

I am beginning to think that the best things in life start with the letter “F”.  Certainly all of my favorite things do: Family, Friends, Flying, Football, Frocks, Food and Fun!  Frappacinos.  Fromage.  (I’m gonna figure out bacon and chocolate in a minute).
 

Proof : Yesterday's Friday Frock photo
taken at Ooh La-La Cupcakes.
Happy Thanksgiving!  I am thankful for all of you (and my magnificently healthy rack)!

Go Lions!

No comments:

Post a Comment